Monday, June 19, 2006

sweet fragrance

I am searching for a suitable analogy for what I experienced yesterday. Abbey Way gathered together yesterday morning as we usually do on Sunday morning. This time we met in our back yard under the maple trees. The air was fresh and cool. We were surrounded by green. It was lovely. But lovelier still was the sweet affection that was blooming among us. Affection. Much of the community was together on Saturday for the New Monastic Workshop. But a few of us were unable to be there... and we were missed. ...and they told us so.

Wikipedia says:
Affection: literally, a mental state resulting generally from an external influence. It is popularly used of a relation between persons amounting to more than goodwill or friendship.

That's lovely. We have committed ourselves to this "shared life" without even knowing the others joining us for the journey. Yet our common desire for God supports and enfold us. What rich soil we have to grow in! Only the first few flowers have bloomed but what a lovely fragrance they give.

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

How nice to hear from you in this blogworld! I miss seeing your face. Actually, I more just saw the back of your head. :)

Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

. . . a bouquet . . . shared on my computer screen . . . I can almost smell the aroma myself . . . you are in my prayers . . .

Deo Gratias!