Thursday, May 31, 2007

Memorial

This week we remembered those who have died. My Dad died last August. I remembered Dad on Saturday and Sunday when we planted our vegetable garden. My folks were big time gardeners. We had HUGE vegetable gardens when I was growing up. And now I know why.

This is only our second year of growing food. Our garden is probably 6' x 12'. We planted sweet corn, potatoes, peas, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes and yellow bell peppers. How fun! But really our garden will hardly sustain us or provide all the corn, potatoes, peas, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes or peppers we will consume in the next year. I'm glad for the experience it gives us all. Growing food awakens us to our connection to the earth - that is very good.

I remember, Dad, your love of growing things. And I thank you for it.

1 comment:

pearl said...

A friend gave me a sign that I have hanging in my kitchen--"Gardening adds years to your life, and life to your years."

I was in a funk last summer and didn't do much gardening, but this year all I want to do is be in the garden. Even to weed!! We can't grow food...our garden is mostly shade, but growing flowers brings that connection to earth, too.